Firstly, let’s know what a dental handpiece is.
Dental handpiece, also known as oral handpiece, is a medical device specially used in stomatology, which can be used to clean teeth and grind caries and bad teeth.
Dental handpieces are classified into high speed handpieces and low speed handpieces according to usage and rotational speed. High speed handpieces are clinically used for grinding teeth, mainly for drilling and repairing of oral surgery. The speed is generally between 230,000 and 450,000. Low speed handpieces are mainly used for grinding dentures, polishing teeth, and implanting. There are three types of low speed handpieces: contra angle, straight handpiece and micro motor. The speed is generally ranging from 15000-25000.
So, how to properly clean and maintain your dental handpiece?
1. Before using the dental handpiece, check whether the pipes of the water supply system are aging and rusted, and whether there are foreign objects in the water pipes.
2. Check whether the compressed air produced by the air compressor is clean, and the compressed air cannot contain moisture and mechanical oil.
3. Check whether the pressure gauge of the combined chair unit is damaged.
4. Before using the dental handpiece, the pressure gauge should be adjusted correctly according to the pressure range written in the instruction manual. Too high or too low pressure can shorten the life of your dental handpiece.
5. Add cleaning lubricating oil twice a day; and you need to choose a suitable fuel injection nozzle.
6. Before high-temperature and high-pressure sterilization, be sure to add cleaning lubricating oil to discharge the dirt and foreign matter in the dental handpiece, then put it into a high-temperature and high-pressure sterilization bag, and then perform high-temperature and high-pressure sterilization. The setting time for 132° disinfection is 15 minutes; the setting time for 123° disinfection is 20 minutes.
7. Never immerse the dental handpiece in acidic disinfectant; otherwise it will seriously damage the collet and the internal structure of the dental handpiece.
8. Dental handpieces with different functions, features and rotational speeds have certain requirements for the burs used, and the burs used must meet the rotational speed of the dental handpiece. Never use burs that are bent, jittered, frayed, or too long or too short.
9. Do not idle the dental handpiee without a bur.
10. Do not bump or drop the dental handpiece. In this case, the machine head must be corrected and the collet can be replaced before it can be used.
11. Never use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean your dental handpiece.